Monday 6 December 2010

Beginnings


... having received 3 Hirst Arts moulds through the post, plus 5kilo of plaster, I had to jump in and get started. The plan is small tower, similar to Hirst's wizard's tower but with a round actual tower, probably evolving into a fortified church/chapel. But how many castings?! There are the results of 3.5 moulds above, enough for about two rows of brick work - so only another dozen or so of each mould needed for a building! That said, the process is satisfying - mix, pour, scrape, pop, an hour per casting, I've yet to get an air bubble free result... Despite wet water, prodding each cell with a cocktail stick and a lot of table banging there's one or two large (requires sanding or is terminally deforming in the case of decorative pieces) and a multitude of tiny bubbles each time. Might have to make a vibrating casting bed...
















But first (and, actually, I doubt I'll make one for a while) Black Orcs. These are still wip, a speed painting attempt to put a fully painted unit in my army - 8th's unit size increases has left me with bare plastic filling our what were finished unit. I got these from Warhammer World, and old style box of twenty and a new 10, giving 3 ranks / 41 ws4 s5 attacks, they've got to eat the ghoul hordes I keep facing (and hopefully the knight horde I was swept from the table with a couple of weeks ago).
These I base coated black, drybrushed the whole model tin bitz / boltgun metal / wash sepia / drybrush selectively boltgun then mithril silver.
The skin in the picture is just knarloc green, still needs highlights, the red and bone is done. After the skin it's a quick tidy up on the metal then bases then battle...











No comments:

Post a Comment